Official seed certification activities were first initiated at the Faculty of Agriculture of Ankara University in Turkey in early 1950s. The actual laboratory was established as a separate organization named as "Seed Control and Certification Institute" within the Ministry of Agriculture in 1959.
The VRSCC was originally established as "Seed Control and Certification Institute" in 1959. This Institute was merged with the "Regional Variety Testing Directorate" in 1986. Then, the new joint institution was named as "Seed Registration and Certification Center" (VRSCC) in 1987. The VRSCC has been officially functioning within the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs since then.
The VRSCC has been an ISTA member since 1963. The VRSCC was entitled TS-ISO-9002 in 2000 and accredited by ISTA in accordance with ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO Guide 25 on 29.01.2001. The VRSCC became a member of UPOV on 18.11.1987 in addition to the membership of ISTA, OECD and other international organizations.